Question:
What can you do about Rancid Neighbors!!!?
anthony
2011-07-20 20:50:40 UTC
Hi, i would really appreciate some advice on how to deal with this situation. The apartment complex i live in is completely DOMINATED by the smell of the nieghbors. Every Apartment and the hallway just REAKS. The people in question are an old lady who is crazy, and her son who has terets. I feel bad for them, but No body takes care of them! They have not showered in YEARS. CAN YOU IMAGINE, YEARS!!? The smell literally makes me gag and very sick to my stomach. The lady also cannot walk. If you can imagine a 90 degree angle, that is what she looks like. Sure they have problems, but why do i have to live with the foul odor that you can smell everywhere. For instance, it was 120 degrees yesterday with 80 percent humidity and they were sitting in there car (it was not running) for hours. They came out drenched in sweat, and this only adds to how terrible they smelled before. They also fight and are up at erratic hours. I know some other neighbors have complained and actually called the cops, but i guess their is no ordinance on heigen? So nothing was done. There has to be something i can do to get them evicted and put in a nursing home where they belong, since they obviously cannot take care of themselves. These apartments are absolutly UNLIVABLE! i have a 2 month old baby, nd do not want her tolive like this. Moving is out of the question because i live in section 8 housing, i canot afford to live anywhere else at the moment until i finish college and get a decent job.
HELP!!
Eight answers:
Tua Magistra!
2011-07-20 21:00:15 UTC
Social services! Don't worry about this as an etiquette question. This is a moral issue of helping out people who probably cannot help themselves. A social worker needs to do a wellness check of these people and their home and get them connected to services that can benefit them. Call them anonymously. Front of the phone book you should find the number.
marys.momma
2011-07-20 21:07:55 UTC
This is a really strange situation.

There are portable air cleaners you can buy to plug in. Hunter makes a good one. Close all your heating vents. You may even have to put layers of paper in the vents to make sure they're completely covered. Unfortunately closing all your windows would probably make it insufferably hot inside your apartment, unless you have an air conditioner.

It's unfortunately true that people get desensitized to their own body odor after a while. It's an ongoing problem in the military services, where people have to live in close quarters. It's not unheard of for guys to gang up on an offender, throw him in a shower, and scrub him down quite roughly.

From what I hear about section 8 housing, there's such a waiting list for it, that the landlords don't much care about keeping tenants happy. If the police haven't been any help, perhaps you can phone one of the local social service agencies and ask if there's anything that can be done.
?
2011-07-21 08:49:45 UTC
There is no reason you cant move if you are on Section 8, even if you have no voucher and live in Sec 8 housing. Call your case worker at HA and ask. Head of household cannot be a full time student so you mus be on someone else's voucher.

You mean, no property owner in the entire town will accept your voucher? Anyone can accept it if they are willing. Better keep the college to yourself because as head of household you cannot be full time student.

You might consider moving to the next town if things are so bad. You dont have to live where your family is if it comes down to staying where you are or making a change.
sweet
2011-07-20 21:02:19 UTC
Have you thought of contacting your apartment manager about the smell??? That is what i would do first...If he does NOTHING. I would call a "senior center" or some "assisted living" place and tell them anonymously....

I am guessing they cannot afford it an assisting living place. Then there is nothing you can do legally. In CA the assisted living places cost anywhere from $3.000 to $6,000.00 a month...WHEU!

For noise control call the police after 10:00pm.

You may have to move...it is a health issue and if no one will do anything about it.

Sorry, you happen to be in that situation.
2011-07-20 22:01:43 UTC
I would definitely be talking to the office about it; explain your concern for their health, and you're situation. You shouldn't have to listen to loud neighbors at night and definitely should not have to smell them when you are in your apartment.

I understand your situation, but you may have to look into a different location in the complex... that shouldn't affect your section 8 housing benefits at all.

Good luck with it all!
baldree
2016-12-01 05:47:43 UTC
It sounds like he's on a sprint bit a downhill slide. If he has family individuals who come via, you should tell them relating to the alterations in his habit. If there is not any one, you should call the well being branch approximately sending a social worker to verify on him. As for offering you his cleanings, do no longer say you do no longer "choose" them, you should assert something like, "Jim, those products are spoiled. you should placed them on your trash." If he says that raccoons gets them, tell him that he ought to look after it in his very own backyard in view which you do no longer opt to freshen up what isn't yours. you always ought to get their interest and element out the best judgment/illogical of what's occurring. many human beings of his age are vehemently against throwing issues away because of fact they lived in the process the melancholy while funds became tight or perhaps a packet of sugar became a luxurious. in spite of the undeniable fact that it heavily sounds like he's beginning as much as no longer nevertheless be "with it." and somebody from the county or family individuals needs to look after him.
Emm
2011-07-20 20:56:22 UTC
If the woman is elderly and you think health is a valid issue, then contact your local senior services and get her some help.
2011-07-20 20:57:08 UTC
contact senior services